Wednesday, January 12, 2011

At the Cabin

For part of our Christmas this year, my parents rented a cabin up in Island Park for a few days.  It was so great because everyone was able to make it up for the majority of the week (minus my little sis who is in Scotland).  The first couple days it was really cloudy and snowy, so when you looked out the big windows out front you couldn't even see this hill it was just clouds. The last day or so it cleared up and it was so beautiful with all the newly fallen snow but it was also extremely cold.  

We rented snowmobiles for a couple of days and had fun going out and playing. We found a nice sledding hill and instead of walking back up the hill, the snowmobile would meet you at the bottom and bring you back to the top! It was very high class sledding :) 
One morning after it had snowed a ton, Mitch and I went out on a ride but we didn't have a very good machine for all the powder so we had to stay in others tracks most of the time.  Well we were following a track up the hill into some trees when all of a sudden the track turns around but we were going too fast to turn in time so we ended up getting major stuck in the snow (this was not the first time, I think Mitch told me he dug out about 15 snowmobiles between everyone in the family getting stuck!).  As I was helping to push us out, the snow ended up coming up and smacking me in the face. It was no fun especially since it was like 2 degrees outside.  Once we finally got out of that mess, I made Mitch be a little more cautious about where he went. 
Other highlights of the week, Addy would not sleep in her pack n' play.  She just wanted to sleep with Gracie which meant that my sister was sleeping with both these crazies in her bed. She was a brave woman. The first night we tried to move Addy into the pack n' play after she fell asleep but at 6:00 in the morning she woke up crying because she wasn't sleeping with Gracie. It was very cute. 

My brother brought up his Wii and dance game.  I loved this game, it gave Mitch a little hope that we might own a Wii in the future (maybe). The best part was Addy would watch the dancer on the screen and try to follow along.  Surprisingly, she was quite good and gave us quite a laugh with her moves!


My dad also brought up his projector so we watched several of our Christmas movies.  I don't think I made it through any of them before I fell asleep.


We spent lots of time changing in and out of snow clothes. Sadly the snow wasn't great snowman snow so we just made snow angels and played around in the soft powder until it got too cold. 


The girls playing with their Santa toys.  For the most part they loved playing together.  One day Gracie got a little tired of having Addy follow her around everywhere she went so she told Addy that she needed her own alone time! and went and watched a movie by herself. 


It was such a fun and relaxing time with family.  I think my mom spent most of her time on the couch by the fire or in the giant bath tub keeping herself warm!  One of my favorite memories was watching my sister get about 4 feet of air on the snowmobile when we were trying to take them back! Hilarious, hilarious, hilarious. Then after my dad picked us up from the rental place trying to get back to our cabin was quite interesting with all the snow on the road, but we made it.
Well hopefully we will be able to rent another cabin in a few years because that was a great time!!

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Oh that looks like it was so much fun! It seems very relaxing and cozy. I'm glad you got to spend so much time with your family.

jolyn said...

Looks like fun! See you guys later in Jan