Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mitch's Totally Awesome Birthday Party

For Mitch's 30th Birthday, I threw him a surprise 80s party. It was so much fun to plan and put together. I tried to keep it a secret from him and I did a great job because when he came home from work, he totally collapsed and rolled around on the ground because he was so shocked. Or was it because Addy and I looked so drop dead gorgeous!!!


I am very thankful to people who share their creative ideas online so that I can copy them and use them for myself. Such as these painted cassette tapes. They were the perfect decoration and I never would've come up with the idea on my own.


Here is another example of someone else's great idea. A pacman cake. Mitch loved it.

More decorations- I just got some candy that was bright neon colors and ninja turtle card that I tossed around.

I found these slinky's at walmart for cheap.

Remember the slap bracelets and 80s sunglasses. I found both of these online and couldn't resist purchasing them. They were a big hit. Apparently in most elementary schools, the slap bracelets were banned because they were being used as weapons. I don't remember that, but I do remember the big T-shirts with the clips.

Anyways, so the party was tons of fun. We have such terrific friends who came and supported us. Here we have our classic 80s nerd look, including the rolled up pant legs which you can't see and her hair clip changes color!

And since she is about to pop any day we cut her a little slack with the limited wardrobe options :)And just look at these three- total flashback, right? Even little L is rockin' the jumpsuit!!


He came right from a meeting so we cut him a little slack also. At least little A is sportin' the jean jacket!
To start things off, we took a little 80s trivia quiz to get our minds thinking back 30 years!! Then I put together a playlist of hit 80s songs that were in movies, so by listening to the song you had to guess what movie it was in. I was quite impressed with our nerds knowledge of the 80s. We then voted for the best outfit- which Mitch won, but truthfully it could've been several different people.

Onto cake and ice cream. This is a better picture to see our full outfits including leggings, fingerless netting gloves, sequins belt and florescent pink skirt which equals a disaster. Maybe this is why Mitch collapsed on the floor when he came home from work!! I was stunning. Mitch was sportin a shiny red jacket, skinny tie, cuffed up pants, really ugly plaid shirt and a handle bar mustache. Throw Addy in with her neon outfit and we were quite the sight!


After eating our pacman cake :( a few people came prepared with a little poem to share for Mitch on his birthday. One poem even included giving away that ugly plaid jacket as a gift to Mitch, isn't he so lucky! Good times.

It truly was a fun night and I'm so glad that people showed up, isn't that always the fear when you throw a party? So thank you to our awesome guests- hopefully we didn't scare you away and you will still be our friends. And to Mitch- Happy 30th Birthday to you.

1 comment:

aLi said...

Oh wow! What an awesome idea! Josh is turning 30 in May. He graduates in May. We move in May. Holy cow, I better bring it for him. Mel, grreat job! I love your look!!!