Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hardware Ranch

For our last adventure of the week, we drove up to Hardware Ranch.  They have a bunch of elk that come down to feed in the winter. We learned that they aren't a refuge because they don't care for the elk  or fence them in, they just feed them to keep them out of the Cache Valley.  
So we road out in the wagon to get an up close look at the animals. This was for sure the closest I've ever been to an elk. Well, an alive one.  They taught us a lot about elk of which I don't really remember much but Mitch did make sure to teach me exactly where to shoot them, you know just in case I ever get that chance (no thanks).







While we were waiting in line, a whole new herd came walking in so we got to see about 150 at least I think that's what they said.  A few days earlier they had about 350 but with the warm weather not as many had come down from the mountain.  


Addy enjoyed looking at the elk, but she was WAY more interested in the horses.  

This was lot of fun and I think it would be neat to go back out when there is lots more snow so we can see the whole herd.  On the way home, we stopped and saw my brother in Logan and then went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. One of our favorites but since it was also new years eve, it was soooo busy.  As for the rest of the evening, we pretty much went back and were so tired we all went to bed early.  So we were party-poopers on New Years Eve but I was one of the few people at church the next morning who wasn't tired!


2 comments:

Kyra and Ben said...

That's neat that you got to right up close to the Elk. We did something similar outside of Jackson Hole as a family when I was younger. Oh, and we were total party poopers on New Year's Eve too. We put the kids down at their usual time and we were asleep by 10 p.m.

Katie Trenerowski said...

This is where my cabin is at! If I would have known you would have been there I would have stopped by to say, "hello". It looks like you guys had fun though!