Thursday, November 3, 2011

Canning

This was one of those super duper proud of myself moments.  I actually followed through with something that I'd been saying I was wanting to do for a couple of years.  Mostly it just took a couple years to get the courage up and a neighbor letting me borrow all of her stuff, but I finally taught myself how to can spaghetti sauce.

I kinda forgot to take a picture of all the tomatoes in the bags and the pile of skinned/cored tomatoes. So here they are after being pureed.  Aren't they so pretty?


 Here is the sauce after I'd added all the seasonings and such.  It smelled and tasted soooo good. This is the recipe I used.

This was the scariest part for me.  I had no idea how to use a pressure cooker and I was so worried that it was going to explode because it really sounds like it might.  My neighbor may have gotten just a few random silly questions. Like how do I keep the pressure from getting too high?  Duh...turn the heat down.  But I learned so I won't have to be afraid for next year. Just as a side note, it really is okay to wear your jammies and totally not be ready for the day when you are canning because it makes a real big mess and who wants to get spaghetti stains all over your nice clothes.


And for those of you wondering what Addy was doing in the midst of all this chaos. Well she was outside playing with a roll of tape that she'd found.  I guess the swing set needed a little fixing up. 



My finished product. 
Yes it is beautiful and I let it sit on my counter for quite awhile so I could admire all my hard work.

I know what I am asking Santa for this Christmas.
(hint, hint)


No comments: