Monday, September 13, 2010

I Can Do Hard Things

That is my new life motto. I can do hard things. One thing that is hard for me is running. I have never been a runner and yet over the weekend I ran my first 10K. I never would've done it by myself but my sister and mom convinced/motivated me as well as my brother to do a family run.

I'm so glad they did because I was so pleased with myself when I finished because I had done a hard thing. I'd only been running on and off for a few weeks so I really wasn't in 10K shape. In fact the first time I went out running to prepare, I only made it a quarter of a mile before I had to stop and walk. It was horrible but I stuck with it. By the next week I was able to run a mile and the week after I made it two miles without walking. I couldn't believe how much stronger I felt in just a couple of weeks. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to run all six miles of the race but I ran way more than I was expecting and I finished without dying!

The last mile of the race goes along the parade route and is slightly uphill. I really surprised myself when I ran the whole thing although as you can see in the picture I really had to push myself because I was exhausted.


Yeah, they had a little more energy at the end than me! My brother who hadn't even ran once prior to this, showed up in his skater shoes and finished in 51 minutes. He was so fast that we didn't even get pictures of him running :) We were all impressed.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Melanie, you are amazing!!!! Seriously, that is so fantastic that you ran a 10K! I've only ever run a 5K, and that was 8 years ago, when I was in high school. Ok, I think it's been 10 years because I think I was a sophomore. Anyway, you are amazing! Congratulations!!

Kyra and Ben said...

Woot, woot (just had to use that phrase since it's what all the cool kids are using these days:) You did awesome. I love that you did it with your family. And Tyler, he's just crazy. No practice, no running shoes and still so fast. Sheesh.

Mary Ann said...

Way to go, guys! I actually did my first 10K last weekend too. And I did pretty good, but now I don't know what I was thinking when I wanted to do a half-marathon. I think I'll stick with a 10K. Hard enough for me.