Thursday, December 6, 2012

birthday effort

My mom and dad drove up for the weekend to celebrate Mitch's birthday. They took us all out to lunch at Red Robin and then we went shopping so Mitch could pick out his birthday gift.  It is always great to have them up to visit.


We have a conference tradition of having waffles on one of the mornings.  So we turned them into birthday waffles and had hats and plates.

This was where I failed miserably.  I'd seen some awesome camo cupcakes on pinterest and thought they would be perfect since hunting season was about to begin.  Well Mitch told me he would rather have a cake instead of cupcakes.  So I just tried to do the same thing just in a cake pan.  Turns out it looks really cool in the pan and then when you tip it out, the cake cracks and falls apart where all the different colors meet.  I was about to scratch it and just do a plain cake but I really didn't want to waste more time so I just made this one work.  I learned my lesson and will only do this with cupcakes.


Opening presents:  A bowtie and peanut M&Ms from Addy and some router bits from me!


Looks like he forgot one more gift.



Notice the camo frosting that I used to try and fix the horrendous cake.
We ended the night with cake and ice cream with some neighborhood friends.  It was great fun until all the kids disappeared downstairs.  Come to find out they were playing "make a mess" in Addy's room and it was a disaster!  I didn't see it until it was mostly cleaned up but I guess it was pretty bad.  To top it all off, just as everyone was leaving, Addy started throwing up everywhere and it continued through the whole night.  Quite a birthday!

No comments: