Monday, July 30, 2012

our attempt at camping

We had such great plans this year of going camping several times.  Then the summer actually hit and it was amazing at how busy we got.  Finally at the end of July we packed everything up and drove up into the hills to explore a new area.  
After getting the trailer set up and things unloaded(which was quite an adventure in and of itself!), we walked over to start the fire for dinner and noticed this tree. Not exactly what you want to see at your campsite!
 

We weren't about to pack everything back up.  So we got the 4-wheeler out and while our foil dinners were cooking we took a couple short rides.


Then the cows started wandering into our camp area.  Mitch tried to scare them off with the 4-wheeler but they didn't even budge.  So we just left them alone and started playing some games until dinner was ready.

A few minutes after we started eating our dinner, we heard a very interesting moan.  At first we thought it was just the cows but then they started mooing and we heard the moan again and it was totally different.  We heard it several more times and decided it was definitely a bear which freaked me out (especially since we already had the evidence in the tree!)  It didn't take me long to decide I could not camp there even if we did have the trailer to keep us safe.  So before it started getting too dark, we packed everything back up with the sound of a bear moaning in the background and headed for home. 

The next morning we drove back up with the 4-wheeler so we could still do our trail ride to the old Websters Dam.  It worked out really nice because they could ride and I hiked. Everyone was happy!

They were loving this trail!
During some of the rockier/steeper/scarier parts, I would have Addy get off and walk with me.   

When you get down to the water, the only way across is this big log.   
Looking down on one of the waterfalls.

Sadly, I didn't realize this picture was so out of focus at the time because it was such beautiful scenery.
Dipping our feet in the nasty water!
I think I need to learn how to use my camera.  Oh well...at the bottom of the trail is a fun little area to play around on the 4-wheeler or bikes.  I started back up the trail cause it took me a lot longer to make it up those hills than them. And they stayed and played around.
I am so happy we found this fun place.  It just might become another yearly summer tradition! Although I'm not sure if we will ever camp here again!



No comments: