Monday, January 11, 2010

My surprise!

Several months ago I saw this book at my neighbors house that had the cutest little kid hats. It inspired me to learn how to knit so for one of our relief society activities that is just what we did. I was a really slow learner but determined none the less so I went to the library and found the cute book and taught myself the rest. Well I became somewhat obsessed- I kept learning new techniques.



And then came the idea, why don't I make hats for all my nieces and nephews for christmas. Sounds like a fun idea except I thought of it at the beginning of December and I have 16 nieces and nephews. I knew we were all going to be at the cabin together so I was determined. I spent every spare minute knitting. My fingers got very strong and nimble but with four days till the cabin I still had a couple hats to make and several others to put finishing touches on. I stayed up pretty late a couple of nights but I did it!



And happy for me, they LOVED them. I was sort of nervous that they wouldn't care because it was just a hat but I was pleasantly surprised by their reaction. They wore them all over the cabin and a few even tried to sleep in them.






My favorite hats were the little boys because I was able to be a little more crazy. This made my whole christmas! probably because it took me soooo long and they loved them so much.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

Wow, Melanie!!! You did such a great job! Will you please teach me? I am to the point where the walls begin to close in on me if I don't have human interaction at least once a day :)

aLi said...

Mel those are awESOME! I've tried to learn how to crochet and can't seem to get it. I tried to teach myself- failed. Someday, though! Congrats, those hats are seriously sooo cute! And the giving part of Christmas really is better. Especially when it's something like this- awesome!

Frances said...

I can't believe you made them all! You are awesome! I can crochet squares, and that's about it... how did you do it? They are super cute! P.S. I'd love to get that picture for your hair... my email is fnegbert (at) gmail

The Clews Crew said...

You are amazing! These are adorable.